Saturday, August 15, 2009

Trying times

Well it has been a while since i blogged. For that i do offer my apologies.

Since my last blog I have had some very trying circumstances. My father was in the hospital over last weekend and it pretty much made it impossible to think about anything other then "is he going to be okay?!" Thankfully I can answer that with a semi-yes.

Why just a semi-yes? Because although the doctors announced that it was only Vertigo that caused him to be so dizzy and sick, unable to walk, they also announced that his kidneys had gotten worse. He's had a kidney problem for quite some time, however, the doctors didn't think anything needed to be done because the last time the tests were run my dads kidneys were stable at 20% working strength. I know that is not a good percent but I was cheering that it was stable. Now that they retested them, i'm not cheering.

Whats so wrong with the kidney treatment? Well, my father is not a fan of needles. He does not like them at all. The kidney treatment that he is available for would cause him to get stuck with needles two or three days a week for a few hours each day. He really doesn't want that. I wouldn't want it either since I have the same problem with needles. He swore to me and my brother that, if we told him he should have the treatment, he would not ever be happy again. I say thats a bit extreme but since he is my father I am use to his extremes.

So, as I am the only child that is near enough to make decisions regarding his health, the brunt of the situation falls on my shoulders. I have discussed things with my brother, however, with him being in Georgia and in RIP training, there is really nothing that he can do except say "well what do you think?" Normally all this pressure would fall to the oldest child to make the decision, but apparently it skipped him and came right to me.

This is a very trying decision to make and I am not sure how I will proceed. I guess it will be up to the doctors advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment